Ramona A. Baker
Ramona Baker Consulting
Building on more than 25 years of experience as the CEO of nonprofits, Ramona helps organizations and individuals navigate change and strengthen their resilience in rapidly changing environments.
As an expert in nonprofit leadership, she works to ensure that nonprofits are successful and sustainable in the moment and for the future. She stresses collaboration, inclusion, and trust in her work with nonprofits, foundations, cities, states, individuals, and corporations.
Ramona is a frequent speaker and facilitator, and has lectured in communities throughout the U.S. as well as in China, Russia, Australia, Northern Ireland, and Canada. She is also the author of several articles and monographs that address a range of topics including nonprofit leadership and public funding for the arts.
She has raised both public and private money for programs, capital construction, operations, grants and funding. She has developed and produced marketing research, cultural tourism initiatives, grants and funding programs, arts education programs, and public art programs.
Ramona has been involved in public policy at all levels of government. She has worked with the U.S. Conference of Mayors, and has testified in support of the arts before the U.S. House Appropriations Committee as well as various local, state, and regional government agencies.
In addition to her consulting practice, Ramona is the Director of the Master of Arts in Arts Administration program at Goucher College. In this role, she advises students, oversees graduate research, directs curriculum design, course development, teaches, and supervises faculty.
Ramona's Board Experience
- Americans for the Arts – Executive Committee, Chair of Strategic Planning Committee; Chair of Nominating and Advancement Committee; Chair of Professional Development Committee
- National Association of Local Arts Agencies
- U.S. Urban Arts Federation, Vice-President
- Indianapolis Convention and Visitors Association
- Meridian Kessler Neighborhood Committee
- Greater Indianapolis Progress Committee (political appointment by mayors from different political parties)
- Fiscal Equalization Task Force for Central Indiana (appointed by three mayors from two political parties)
- Madison County Tourism Board
- Humane Society
- Indiana Sports Corporation
- International Visitors Association of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration
Ramona's Educational Experience
- M.F.A., Florida State University (Theatre Arts Management)
- B.F.A., University of Texas (Playwriting)
- Wesleyan College (Biology)
Ramona's NonProfit Awards & Opportunities
- Grants Evaluator and Panel Member, National Endowment for the Arts (NEA): Service on over 25 different NEA grant panels including Challenge, Challenge America, Underserved, State and Regional, Local Arts Agencies, Dance, Performing Arts, Presenting, and Theatre Panels.
- Guest Lecturer on Theatre in the US — Arts Dialogue in China
- Guest Lecturer on the Arts in the US – Arts Dialogue in Australia
- Guest Lecturer on the Arts in the US – British Embassy
- Guest Lecturer on Arts Festivals in the US -Arts Council of Northern Ireland
- On-Site Evaluator, National Endowment for the Arts related primarily to State and Regional Funding.
- Testified before the U.S. House of Representatives, Appropriations Committee (re: PL 94-142 regarding national funding for the arts).
- Evaluator, The Belfast Arts Festival
- Indiana Arts Leadership Award from Indiana Arts Commission
- Arts Administrator Award of Excellence
- Governor’s Arts Award
- Monographs Published:
United Arts Funds in TransitionBusiness Boomers Penetrate Arts LeadershipFunding Mechanisms for Local Support of the ArtsArts and Economic Prosperity – Tools, Tips, and Targets